Saturday, 13 September 2025

Inquiry in the Garden (Exit 2)

Yesterday's first class in the garden was so amazing! What a lovely setting for learning. I've always felt very connected to the natural world, so being and learning in a space like that feels very natural to me. I'm reminded of how I need to try very hard to put myself in the shoes of my learners. Especially in physics, it's a subject that has always come naturally to me. I'm not sure yet exactly how I will do it, but I recognize that I need strategies to understand the point of view of someone struggling. Reflection will certainly be part of it, but I think I need to go deeper than just thinking about it myself. I will need to bring in outside voices to help me understand.

The sit spot activity was also lovely. I draw very rarely, so I'm slightly embarrassed (maybe not quite the right word) by my lack of skills. Nevertheless, it's awesome to try. Drawing is a task that I think you can't really "fail" at, although it could be perceived otherwise. I struggle to make a connection directly from this activity to a physics lesson, especially grades 11 or 12. Torque is usually not introduced until first year undergrad, but the garden would be perfect for torque! Seeing how trees and plants lean and yet hold themselves up with their roots, how awesome. I'll think more on this as I dive deeper into the BC curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment