Wednesday, 8 October 2025

Language and Loci (Exit 5)

Last week's indoor session was my first time in the math classroom, wow is there ever a lot to see in there! So many cool projects on display. It was interesting to wrap up our discussion of language and trying to create a more verb centered pedagogy. It's a very interesting practice to think of and refer to other living things as persons. Giving them personhood requires and imposes upon you a certain level of empathy. I found the language exercise and discussion somewhat difficult, because I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of verbing for things like mathematical concepts. I find it easy to do for living things, and I'm starting to understand it for not quite living things like mountains and bays. But extending this to concepts or, for example, circles does not feel as natural to me.

With that said, the locus of points is an absolutely amazing concept! So interesting to see how you can construct a parabola geometrically. I haven't yet but I'd love to look into how some other shapes and functions can be defined this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment