Saturday, 11 October 2025

Makin' Cider and Poems (Exit 6)

Today's final(?) visit to the garden was an immensely gratifying one. Getting to enjoy the product of our collective effort was oh so sweet. Certainly made more enjoyable by the fact that we did it together. Any one of us could have completed all the necessary steps, but I believe most humans truly want to help others and this kind of group effort just feels so good! On top of that, the fact that the apples were gifted to us directly by the Earth (and her stewards at the Orchard Garden). This was a vision of the self reliant production we talked about two weeks ago. A small community coming together to use our collective labour power to produce something we can all enjoy while completely circumventing capitalism! Really beautiful. I wonder how many other people appreciated it in this way. I imagine with a slightly more efficient setup and a larger press, a group like us could produce hundreds of litres in a day, supplying the group with an entire winter season of deliciousness. 🥰

On the individual side of the day, we all wrote some lovely poems in the Hemachandra/Fibonacci style. This summer I spent a lot of time sitting around in the bush with no cell service (for a while with no working phone to boot) and I started to write a little bit of poetry. I found the structure of Haiku lowered the barrier to entry. I was not aware of the standard of a seasonal reference and a "cutting word", so I suppose they weren't exactly Haikus. Nevertheless, it was a nice creative outlet. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with writing, so I have trouble writing something that is not "perfect" on the first go. This caused me to be a bit delayed in my poetry and I didn't even end up finishing the second part of my two-part poem. Writing takes time! I also thought I was relatively clever with the first two lines:

Drips

Drops

However it turns out both Meg and Else started their poems this way as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment