"Are we able to conceive yet what that fundamental change in our thinking might look like?" This is a great question and the first thing that stopped me in my tracks. I think a lot about societal change and evolution to a better future for all. Specifically, I tend to approach these issues and this question from a socialist and ecological lens. This past summer, I was working with a 19 year old man and he was very interested in discussing the brand new to him topic of socialist and Marxist ideas. I learned through these discussions how big of a fundamental change in our collective thinking needs to occur. I won't go into detail here about my opinions, but versions of this question comes up in so many discussions - can we even imagine what the a just future can look like?
"The empowerment which comes from being able to opt out of the consumer paradigm, even for one small item, creates a heightened sense of self-esteem for the skills learned." I've always tried to just avoid buying things, but people need some things. So then you can go to researching manufacturers and vetting production lines, but making is such a fundamentally different process. You get the material and use value of the item, the more abstract value of now having this skill, and the emotional value of having accomplished this task and satisfied a need independently. Beautiful!
I feel renewed. It is so easy to feel that ecological doomsday hopelessness message deeply. But honey attracts more flies than vinegar! Seeing the good in the changes we can make, and focussing on that - love it.
I'm interested in the netting/string bag technique - it seems similar to some tree nets I've seen made, but I'm not sure how similar it really is. Very excited to try making rope tomorrow!
| https://www.ptreyeslight.com/features/lagunitas-man-weaves-psychedelic-tree-nets/ |
No comments:
Post a Comment