Thursday, 18 September 2025

Picking and Listening to the Apples (Exit 3)

Today's session in the garden brought back some very positive memories for me. I grew up on a former apple orchard out in the middle of nowhere rural Ontario. It wasn't very productive any more, and the apples were quite sour, but I have strong memories of picking apples. We would eat a few, but mostly we would throw them at the side of the garage, trees, or each other. We did also have one pear tree who produced excellent pears, however we didn't prune any of the trees so the production was hit or miss year to year.

Thinking about sound based sit spot today, I really enjoyed it compared to the previous visual based drawing activity. I think if I were to use this in my practice, I would encourage students to pick one sense, but give them the freedom to choose which sense. Maybe if I did it more than once I would get them to rely on a different sense that they aren't so comfortable with the second time. Either way, another lovely day spent in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment